If you’re like many real estate agents, you may struggle with time management. Sure, you may feel busy all day, but when you go home for the day, have you accomplished the big tasks you wanted to complete for the day? Whether you work in an office or from home, distractions are all around. And, as a real estate professional, there’s no doubt that fires spring up that demand your attention. It’s these little things that take away our focus on the important tasks that drive our businesses. Here are a few ways to boost your productivity so that you can reach your goals in 2014.
1. Eliminate distractions.
• Limit your time online. While the Internet is a helpful tool, it’s also one of the biggest distractions. You may tell yourself that you’ll just take a five minute break to check the score of last night’s game or to find a double chocolate brownie recipe on Pinterest, but 45 minutes later you’re updating your Facebook status, catching up on celebrity gossip and watching cat videos on YouTube. Take back your time with these programs designed to limit your time online:
Freedom ($10/month) prevents you from going onto the Internet for a given period of time that you set.
Anti-social ($15 for registered app; for Mac) is perfect if social media is your productivity Achilles heel. It’ll block you from social media until you reboot your computer.
• Close the door. It may sound old-fashioned, but sometimes closing the door does the trick. If you don’t have a door to close, a sign that says Do Not Disturb also gets the point across. Whether you work in the office or at home, tell those around you not to disturb you for the next 90 minutes or so, unless it’s an actual emergency.
2. Identify the essentials.
• What are your Must-Dos? When you write your to-do list, circle the tasks that you must get done that day. These tasks include your proactive lead generating activities, touching base with your active buyers and sellers, etc. Turn your attention and focus to these tasks.
• Delegate the small tasks to an assistant or someone else. If it seems like the trivial tasks are taking up the majority of your time, delegate them to someone else. This way, you’re able to focus on the important tasks that drive your business.
3. Plan your day.
• Time block your day. The most productive people work best in 90 minute chunks of time. Break your day into 90-minute blocks in which you focus your energy on one task, such as lead generation, for 90 minutes.
• Schedule similar tasks together. Grouping similar tasks together saves time and prevents you from having to switch gears mentally. If you’re making your daily phone calls to clients to generate leads, then use that time to also call your buyers and sellers to check in with them.
• Include personal time. Overwork leads to burnout, which is why downtime is important for refreshing your internal battery. Schedule time for a run, yoga, time with family or even a nap to keep your energy up and your mind sharp.
Referral Maker™ real estate CRM software helps you to manage your time wisely by taking the guesswork out of your daily to-do list. Referral Maker uses the goals you set for your business to create a daily list of proactive lead generating activities to complete each day. Boost your productivity while you’re on-the-go with the Referral Maker App, which features a mapping function that allows you to plan your Pop-Bys by where you happen to be. Visit Referral Maker for more information and to start your 30-day free trial today!