Make 2014 your best year ever, staring now. True, it’s not the new year yet, but now is the time to plant those seeds that will bring you success. While some of these seeds include building the relationships that lead to referrals, the rest of the seeds involve developing the habits, attitude and skills that are essential to thrive. Here are the seven steps that will help you become a more effective and successful agent in 2014.
1. Get more hours out of your day. No, we don’t have a magic potion that can add more hours to your day. The only way to get more hours is to get up earlier. Early risers are able to take advantage of the quiet hours of the morning to think, plan and take care of the little details that can drive them off-track during the workday. Try waking up just 10 to 15 minutes earlier and see the difference.
2. Be punctual. Chronic lateness can undermine your credibility. Most people don’t like to be kept waiting, and if it happens often enough, they may avoid working with you in the future. Improve your chances of being on time by setting your watch a few minutes earlier.
3. Always remember to follow up. Following up provides you with the opportunity to show your character and competence. It also shows your clients that they are a priority to you. Just a quick phone call or text message is often enough to reassure them that you’re working on helping them achieve their goals.
4. Write down your goals. It’s good to have goals; it’s even better to write them down and refer to them regularly. Keeping them where you can see them daily (e.g., taped to your bathroom mirror), will remind you of what you want to achieve and motivate you to make them a reality.
5. Track your progress. Tracking your activities allows you to gauge your progress toward achieving your goals. Referral Maker™ CRM real estate software tracks your activities and calculates your numbers for you, so that you always know where you stand.
6. Never stop learning. As Henry Ford said, “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.” Go to workshops and Turning Point™ seminars, read inspiring and business-related books and surround yourself with successful people. All of these suggestions will help you to improve your skills and motivate you to thrive.
7. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. We all work better when we have an accountability partner to hold us to our goals. Don’t go it alone. Find a mentor or coach to help you reach your potential and achieve success.